List of active policies
|Student Acceptable Use Policy||Site policy||All users|
SummaryClick 'next' at the bottom of this page to agree.
Student Acceptable Use Policy
1. New technologies have become integral to the lives of young people in today’s society, both within colleges and in their lives outside college.
2. The internet and other digital information and communications technologies are powerful tools, which open up new opportunities for everyone. These technologies can stimulate discussion, promote creativity and stimulate awareness of context to promote effective learning. They also bring opportunities for staff to be more creative and productive in their work.
3. All users should have an entitlement to safe access to the internet and digital technologies at all times.
4. This acceptable use policy is intended to ensure:
- that students will be responsible users and stay safe while using the internet and other digital technologies for educational, personal and recreational use.
- that college systems and users are protected from accidental or deliberate misuse that could put the security of the systems at risk
5. The college will try to ensure that students will have good access to digital technology to enhance their learning and will, in return, expect students to agree to be responsible users.
Acceptable Use Policy Agreement
6. I understand that I must use college systems in a responsible way, to ensure that there is no risk to my safety or to the safety and security of the systems and other users. I recognise the value of the use of digital technology as a part of my learning at the college
7. For my own personal safety:
- I understand that the college will monitor my use of the college digital technology and communications systems.
- I will keep my username and password safe and secure – I will not share it, nor will I try to use any other person’s username and password. I understand that I should not write down or store a password where it is possible that someone may steal it.
- I understand that the college digital technology systems are primarily intended for educational and constructive business use and that I will only use the systems for personal or recreational use within the policies and rules set down by the college
- I will not disclose or share personal information about myself or others when on-line (this could include names, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, age, gender, educational details, financial details etc.)
- I will immediately report any unpleasant or inappropriate material or messages or anything that makes me feel uncomfortable when I see it on-line.
- I will be ware of “stranger danger” when communicating with people online and take care for my own safety (by for example meeting in a public place) if I arrange to meet people who I have communicated with online.
- I understand that the college systems and devices are primarily intended for educational use and that I will not use them for personal or recreational use unless I have permission.
- I will not try (unless I have permission) to make large downloads or uploads that might take up internet capacity and prevent other users from being able to carry out their work.
- I will not use the college systems or devices for on-line gaming, on-line gambling, internet shopping, file sharing, or video broadcasting (e.g. YouTube), unless I have permission of a member of staff to do so.
9. I will act as I expect others to act toward me:
- I will respect others’ work and property and will not access, copy, remove or otherwise alter any other user’s files, without the owner’s knowledge and permission.
- I will be polite and responsible when I communicate with others, I will not use strong, aggressive or inappropriate language and I appreciate that others may have different opinions.
- I will not take or distribute images of anyone without their permission.
10. I will not research, promote or support extremist viewpoints that are in opposition to Fundamental British values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.
11. I recognise that the college has a responsibility to maintain the security and integrity of the technology it offers me and to ensure the smooth running of the college:
- I will only use my own personal devices (mobile phones/USB devices etc.) in college if I have permission. I understand that, if I do use my own devices in the college, I will follow the rules set out in this agreement, in the same way as if I was using college equipment.
- I understand the risks and will not try to upload, download or access any materials which are illegal or inappropriate or may cause harm or distress to others, nor will I try to use any programmes or software that might allow me to bypass the filtering/security systems in place to prevent access to such materials.
- I will immediately report any damage or faults involving equipment or software, however this may have happened.
- I will not open any hyperlinks in emails or any attachments to emails, unless I know and trust the person/organisation who sent the email, or if I have any concerns about the validity of the email (due to the risk of the attachment containing viruses or other harmful programmes)
- I will not install or attempt to install or store programmes of any type on any college device, nor will I try to alter computer settings.
12. When using the internet for research or recreation, I recognise that:
- I should ensure that I have permission to use the original work of others in my own work
- Where work is protected by copyright, I will not try to download copies (including music and videos)
- When I am using the internet to find information, I should take care to check that the information that I access is accurate, as I understand that the work of others may not be truthful and may be a deliberate attempt to mislead me.
13. I understand that I am responsible for my actions, both in and out of college:
- I understand that the college also has the right to take action against me if I am involved in incidents of inappropriate behaviour, that are covered in this agreement, when I am out of college and where they involve my membership of the college community (examples would be online-bullying, use of images or personal information).
- I understand that if I fail to comply with this acceptable use agreement, I may be subject to disciplinary in line with college disciplinary process. This could include loss of access to the college network/internet, other sanctions and in the event of illegal activities involvement of the police.
Student Acceptable Use Agreement Form
14. This form relates to the student/pupil acceptable use agreement; to which it is attached.
15. Please click next to show that you have read, understood and agree to the rules included in the acceptable use agreement. If you do not click next to this agreement, access will not be granted to college systems.
16.I have read and understand the above and agree to follow these guidelines when:
- I use the college systems and devices (both in and out of college)
- I use my own devices in the college (when allowed) e.g. mobile phones, gaming devices USB devices, cameras etc.
- I use my own equipment out of the college in a way that is related to me being a member of this college e.g. communicating with other members of the college accessing college email, VLE, website etc.